Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Tripping in the Fall

With September comes change. The feeling of new beginnings sets in for many. This year I personally have decided to begin again by
going back to school. It will be a lot of work, and this I
knew, but I am very excited for this new endeavor. In the mindset of
changes and beginnings, I feel as though I want to jump at every
opportunity I see. Perhaps in the back of my mind I am longing for a
complete 180 in certain areas of my life.

Thoughts of changing jobs, moving apartments, amping up my wardrobe,
and planning fantastic nights out are all ways for me to escape my
current reality. “Escape” is my word of choice because that’s what
those activities offer me. In this state of mind I begin frantically
debating taking on yet another training and dropping it into my
already jam packed schedule. Before I can even contemplate what is it
I am about to take on my mind starts to race yet again. I am
ridiculously thinking ahead to November, scheduling my weeks and
weekends, asking myself how will I ever handle it all. I haven’t even
made the decision to move forward, and I’m already logistically stuck.

The push and pull of my mind leads me to the exact spot I need to be.
I am on my floor, CD playing with a crystal in my hand. I close my
eyes, breathe deep, and ask aloud what it is I am seeking the answer
to. I am specific when I ask. I know I will receive the answer. So I
listen.

Almost instantly I am guided to my
answer. Right now I am busy, and if I want to do more then the
activities I should engage in are more reading, cooking,
yoga, and rest. Regardless of what the details may be in how I am to
spend my time, the point is to spend more time on me, for me. Rather
than squeeze in yet another training, class or event, the one way to
spend my time that I will truly benefit from is to devote it to
myself.

I share this because I believe this is the case for all of us. No
matter how great for us the action, event, class is that we are
attending, sometimes too much of a great thing can be too much. We
fill our schedules from 7 AM to 11 PM, making sure to see everyone we
know, promising to go up, down, east and west to meet the needs of
others, support those we love, and hopefully to have fun. Yet when
does it become too much? What are we rushing to accomplish anyway? If
we look back in our lives, we have all met certain goals only to have
new ribbons and another finish line to cross in the distance. The
reality is the race will never end. However the faster we run through
it, the more we miss, the less enjoyable it becomes.

I am not saying don’t do something that you want to do, but if your
desire becomes more about filling your time rather than taking time to
really enjoy what it is your doing, I suggest you sit down, relax, and
ask.